Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What I learned about lighting

I found a great article today about common household lighting mistakes.  Here it is if you want to read it yourself.  I copied the tips I found most useful.
Common Lighting Mistakes
  • By dimming a light, we decrease energy and heat output, and lengthen lamp life.
  • Lighting in the bathroom: Standing directly under a downlight, without any light at the sides of the face, creates exaggerated and unflattering shadows. In the bathroom, using a downlight over the sink is fine to accent the expensive polished nickel faucet you've specified, but it's insufficient for tasks like shaving, tweezing, and applying makeup. For this, we need light at the sides of the mirror at eye level to minimize shadows and provide even distribution. This can be achieved with sconces flanking the mirror.
And what's a post without a picture?

Sf Decorators Showcase/Her Study traditional home office
 
I love that table lamp... and the rug, and the mirror, and the ottoman, and the tulips, and the desk, and the pillow.  Okay, there's a lot I like about this picture.  I wish it was in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment